Because the battle enters its 420th day, we check out the principle developments.
Right here is the scenario on Tuesday, April 19, 2023:
- President Volodymyr Zelenskyy visited Ukrainian troops in Avdiivka in japanese Ukraine, in accordance with his workplace.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin visited navy headquarters in Ukraine’s Kherson and Luhansk areas, the Kremlin mentioned. Russia claimed to have annexed the areas, which it partly occupies, in September.
- Russian forces are stepping up their use of heavy artillery and air strikes within the besieged japanese metropolis of Bakhmut, the commander of Ukraine’s floor forces mentioned.
- A Russian artillery assault killed one particular person and injured 9 within the southern Ukrainian metropolis of Kherson, Governor Oleksandr Prokudin mentioned.
- The Group of Seven (G7) industrial powers, assembly in Japan, mentioned they have been dedicated to intensifying sanctions in opposition to Russia and would help Ukraine “for so long as it takes” because it defends itself.
- A Russian court docket denied bail to Wall Avenue Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, who has been jailed in Moscow on spying prices.
- Russia’s overseas ministry summoned the Canadian, United Kingdom and United States ambassadors after they condemned the conviction of opposition politician Vladimir Kara-Murza who a Russian court docket has sentenced to 25 years.
- China’s defence minister Li Shangfu and his Russian counterpart Sergey Shoigu agreed to proceed shut high-level communications and enhance the cooperation mechanism between the 2 international locations’ militaries.
- Swiss President Alain Berset mentioned the nation condemned Moscow’s warfare in Ukraine within the strongest phrases and was dedicated to offering humanitarian support and implementing sanctions in opposition to Russia.
- Russian legislators voted to introduce life sentences for these convicted of treason.
- Russian International Minister Sergey Lavrov is anticipated to debate the Black Sea grain take care of United Nations Secretary-Common Antonio Guterres throughout a go to to New York subsequent week, Russia’s state-run TASS information company reported.
- Poland agreed to raise a ban on the transit of Ukrainian grain and meals merchandise however Ukraine mentioned a wartime deal permitting it to soundly ship grain from Black Sea ports was nonetheless below risk.
- Poland is proposing a brand new sanction package deal on Russia, which features a ban on pipeline oil and diamond imports, in accordance with a doc seen by the Reuters information company.
- The Swedish alcohol model Absolut Vodka will cease exports to Russia after calls to boycott the model in Sweden and on social media.
- Egypt was planning to fabricate rockets for Russia however then suspended the trouble and determined to provide ammunition to Ukraine after talks with US officers, the Washington Submit reported.