As we method Darkest Dungeon 2’s 1.0 launch on Might 8, Purple Hook Studios has revealed the ultimate character coming to the grimdark roguelike at launch: the Flagellant. This nasty, nasty man is way worse for put on than he seemed to be within the unique Darkest Dungeon, and he brings with him a Blight-focused, high-risk playstyle that is unconventional, including to his attraction as a pain-loving weirdo.
The Flagellant confirmed up within the first Darkest Dungeon through the Crimson Courtroom DLC, and would you simply have a look at him circa 2017 (opens in new tab)—he is so glad! You get pleasure from that pores and skin buddy, you will not have it for for much longer.
Picture 1 of 6
Just like his Darkest Dungeon 1 incarnation, the Flagellant does his finest work when he is at “Dying’s Door,” the near-death state characters attain at zero HP. He can spend well being to gasoline his personal assaults, and likewise tank injury meant for different characters as a way to attain Dying’s Door sooner.
In the event you’re making an attempt to chop “poisonous” individuals out of your life, nicely, you are enjoying the incorrect sport, but additionally the Flagellant’s distinctive stress response in-game is actually known as “Poisonous.” Like his “Rapturous” state in Darkest Dungeon 1, it is not essentially a foul factor, and Purple Hook says the Flagellant’s “customized stress response impacts him lower than a meltdown and reduces his well being to a threshold the place these talents are instantly out there, whereas refreshing his cooldowns to ensure they’re up to be used.”
The poison factor extends to his package—the Flagellant was at all times a creep, however now he is virtually a strolling corpse from all that punishment he endured. “By sheer power of will, the Flagellant survives on the furthest fringe of mortality. He savours the sensations of perpetual, endless demise,” Purple Hook explains. “As his physique started to rot, his blood and organs grew to become septic, and his energy started to mirror a poisonous, necrotic archetype.”
In a shift from Darkest Dungeon 1, the Flagellant is all about Blight now, inflicting the injury over time impact with lots of his talents, which Purple Hook broke down with temporary descriptions for us:
- Punish: A brutal flail strike to wreck and blight an opponent.
- Fester: Destroys a corpse on the battlefield, blighting these round it.
- Deathless: The Flagellant sacrifices of his personal physique to revive one other Hero’s well being.
- Endure: Relieves a celebration member of stress at the price of his personal thoughts.
- Lash’s Present: Strikes himself together with his flail, elevating his personal well being whereas buffing an ally’s power and defenses.
- Acid Rain: Pummels his opponents with a virulent downpour, dealing injury and blight in equal measure.
- Extra! MORE!: The Flagellant covets ache, utilizing it to heal himself after drawing enemy assaults.
- Undergo: Relieves a celebration member of their Blight, Bleed, and Burn by taking it upon himself.
- Sepsis: Inflicts great Blight whereas recovering from the brink of demise.
- Timeless: Injures himself to supply regeneration for one more.
- Necrosis: Strikes down all Blight-infected foes whereas his personal flesh knits again collectively.
New boss spoilers and picture beneath.
The Flagellant additionally brings the promise of a brand new enemy: having cheated demise one too many instances, tsk tsk, he is now pursued by Dying herself, armed with a scythe astride a pale horse. This miniboss encounter has an opportunity of triggering after each battle victory with the Flagellant in your get together. “Her expertise are significantly designed to bypass the Flagellant’s appreciable deathblow resistance,” Purple Hook advised us. “The uncertainty of her look, and her deadly fight potential make Dying an actual risk to any expedition. Surviving her assault will reward gamers with a particular merchandise: the Dying’s Head flower.”
The Flagellant will even function a fleshed-out, playable backstory like the opposite characters, and can be coming to Darkest Dungeon 2 when the sport leaves early entry Might 8. You possibly can look ahead to our full evaluation of the sport at the moment, and till then, you’ll want to take a look at our Darkest Dungeon 2 hub (opens in new tab) for our prior early entry protection.